Sunday, November 7, 2010

GaGa for GaGa? HELL NO.

This article is a little off-topic, but I wanted to share.  Apparently at the University of Virginia, there is a class taught on Lady GaGa.  The class is called "GaGa for GaGa:  Sex, Gender, and Identity."  What would my parents think if I brought home a schedule of my classes and that was on the bill!  It says that students will, "...read about her influence on feminism and gender expression," as well as, "...the skills to think analytically for life."  The author believes that this is a sneaky way to get students to sign up for a gender studies centered class.  Is pop culture worth analyzing?  Does it provide any useful knowledge that can be utilized into an expansion of a deeper thought process?  


Dear God, please save us! 

I agree with the author's opinion on the establishment of a Lady GaGa class.  She says, "...this particular pop culture moment is ephemeral and it will pass."  A pop culture moment is relative to the context of its time--whoever is popular will seize the title and surely be forgotten as we are on to the next one...RIP Hootie and the Blowfish =)  I agree that classes like this are not the best ways to "impart lessons for life", but if it inspires creativity and participation in more substantial umbrella topics, then I'm all for it.

2 comments:

  1. Well that's certainly interesting!

    Of all places -- the University of Virginia? The school founded by Thomas Jefferson to educate the students of the young republic in liberal arts and create well-rounded model citizens? I'm sure he would be turning over in his grave.

    Leave Lady Gaga to Us Weekly, not the course satalog I say.

    ReplyDelete