Wednesday, November 24, 2010

FANTASIA, ARE YOU FOR REAL??

Being one of the most forgotten American Idol stars, Fantasia has been in the media more often since receiving a contract for a reality TV show about her life that was recently renewed for a second season.  I've never watched the show because her irritable baby voice prohibits me from doing so.  However, recently she has not just been in the news for her TV show.  On Monday, her confession of having an abortion was made inside a courtroom in a battle between her ex and his wife.  That's right.  I said "his wife".  Juicy.

Apparently, she had told the court that she chose to get an abortion once she found out that her boyfriend was married.  This case is actually pretty interesting because Fantasia is trying to prove that she did not know that he was married, but the ex boyfriend's wife says she knew all about his marriage.  After reading testimony, Fantasia did know that her boyfriend was married, but believed that they were legally separated.  The wife calls Fantasia a "homewrecker" and is suing her over the affair.  This website tells readers that they can listen to her testimony and gives the website which you can listen to here.  The details are actually quite shocking.  It's unclear to me (and probably the court), whether she was pregnant when she attempted to commit suicide in August 2010.  She says she cannot recall when she had an abortion.  I find that hard to believe.  Right after allegedly finding out her boyfriend was married, Fantasia "attempted to take her [own] life by purposely overdosing on aspirin and a sleeping aid." 

This article says that the wife can sue Fantasia under a law called "Alienation of Affection" which is valid in North Carolina.  The law says, "...that an abandoned spouse can sue the party responsible for the breakup of their marriage, usually the adulterous spouse's lover."  WOW!  A real life Scarlet Letter!  


I just think that her reputation is ruined now, especially her affiliation with American Idol.  If evidence comes out that she attempted suicide while she was pregnant, her career is over.  I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug on her TV series.  I mean, what she allegedly did is such an unthoughtful, selfish act of behavior that really makes her no different from the women who drown or choke their own children to death.  How the "mighty" have fallen...
 Pictured here:  Fantasia and her ex boyfriend, Antwaun Cook.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that I find it really hard that she would not be able to remember when she had an abortion. I feel like that isn't something that is easily forgotten. I also think the whole being able to sue "the other woman" is really funny. I learned about it in my Introduction to Torts class but didn't think it was something that was really used but apparently it is. I think the guy who cheated should be the one being sued....but on the other side it does help to deter homewreckers from going after married people. I agree that Fantasia's reputation is ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty, homewreckers are going to exist whether there are laws to deter them or not. I don't think Alienation of Affection laws are very popular because they are time consuming, require a lot of evidence, and force the hurt party to relive the drama. Also, I have learned from my internship that sometimes it is in the client's best interest to not definitively answer to a time frame. You can see this in Fantasia's case. Her character will fare better with the public if there are no parameters to her attempted suicide and abortion. But, you're right. Her reputation is ruined no matter what the outcome is.

    ReplyDelete