Monday, October 25, 2010

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS...

I guess I have a question about my research paper.  I have decided to look at global public opinions on the topic of abortion because I felt that it was more interesting that a historical view of the United States' opinion.  My problem is that I've chosen countries who either intentionally or culturally encourage the oppression of women.  
One thing that I am so adamant about is avoiding being labeled a feminist.  So, it should be no surprise that I have to make my claim here:
 Ok, now that's out of the way...back to the issue at hand.  There is always the argument that as Americans we tend to force our standards and systems upon other countries, especially non-Western countries.  We tend to hold our treatment of women and their liberties as the mold that they should follow.  The U.S. typically sees some cultures in India as having a patriarchal society with oppressive behaviors toward women.  But what about the women who actually live in the culture?  Some reports say that these women who are perceived by the U.S. to be oppressed, really don't feel that way--they are satisfied and content with the way they live their lives.  
To bring it all full circle, what does this mean for the topic of abortion?  When you boil down to it, abortion is typically associated with the privacy of a woman's body--which is a right.  My main goal in writing my research paper is to be careful not to ignore background information about that country's culture and just report on the statistics.  The politics behind a woman's place in individual societies is essential to understanding why a public may hold a particular viewpoint.
Do you believe that I am heading in the right direction?  Are there any countries that I shouldn't touch? 

3 comments:

  1. I think you are definitely heading in the right direction. This is such an interesting approach: Do politics play a role in the acceptance of abortion? Interesting! I don't think there is any one country to avoid, but I think it is important to not only have one type of country. For example, perhaps it would be good to do a comparison of a matriarchal and patriarchal society, and then maybe a comparison between a developed country and developing country. Just ideas! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can help me with mine...I was thinking about writing a paper kind of similar, but with a different approach. I was going to call it "The Politics of Abortion," and basically research whether abortion is ok or not? God says no, the President says yes. Which is it? Do you think that is too philosophical and too much away from what the assignment is asking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,
    I think that is a great way to approach your paper. It is philosophical, but I think that gives you more room to use analysis which is important. I like your title too! I think your paper will be strong with the differences in a secular society v non secular. It's something that we even deal with here...You're on the right track! No worries!

    ReplyDelete