Thursday, August 26, 2010

YOUR BABY PROBABLY HAS A BEATING HEART, YOU KNOW. IT CAN FEEL PAIN...AND IT HAS FINGERNAILS!

I'm sure most of you have seen the movie Juno.  There is a scene in the movie that had critics talking.  When the main character Juno goes to an abortion clinic, she encounters a classmate who is protesting outside.  She yells out to Juno,"Your baby probably has a beating heart, you know.  It can feel pain...and it has fingernails!"  I think this is the part where she decides not to get an abortion.  She can't get over the fact that it has fingernails already; as if having fingernails makes the baby an actual, real living being.  


A neighbor of mine came over to my house earlier in the summer when my boyfriend and I were grilling out.  She told us she was pregnant.  So, the natural thing to do is to say "Congratulations!"  She said, "Yeah, well I'm getting rid of it on Thursday".  I was already in shock that someone seemed so careless when talking about aborting a baby, but what she did next pulled on my heart strings like never before.  She pulled out a pack of cigarettes and cracked open a beer.  All I could do was stare at her.  I was speechless.  In the 30 minutes she sat outside with us, she had smoked TWO packs of cigarettes and drank FOUR beers!  


It made me wonder if telling her that the baby had fingernails would have stopped her from smoking and drinking.  Some people may say, "Oh well, she was getting rid of it anyway", but I just didn't think it was right.  There is still a baby inside of you.  You are poisoning it!  So I found this article called, "Fetal Development: From Conception to Birth" and it explains when everything starts to develop inside a fetus.  It says:
"Week 6:  Brain waves are detectable; mouth and lips are present; fingernails are forming"
BUT, look at the rest of the information before Week 6.  On DAY 22, "heart begins to beat with the child's own blood, often a different type than the mothers'".  You're bound to pass Day 22 before you even realize that you're pregnant, but yet your baby has a heart!  So, maybe YOU should have a heart when it comes to doing things that you know you are not suppose to do.   

Pictured here:  A real hand with fingernails from an aborted fetus at 12 weeks.
Source:  http://www.40daysforlife.com/napa/pictures/Embryo%2012%20weeks%20fingernails%202.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Hey Stevie!

    I posted this yesterday but it doesn't seem to be showing up (I'm still very new to the blogging world so I probably didn't do it right), but I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your blogs and think that your opinion and facts are interesting. The last post about your neighbor who was talking so casually about having an abortion made me sad. I like to think that I am pro-choice (whatever that means), but I hate the idea of abortions becoming casual and something people use simply as a birth control method. Abortion is serious and deserves to be given serious thought. I look forward to seeing more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allie! Thanks for the comments! I really appreciate it! I'm new to the blogging world too! I agree with you that abortions should not be used as a birth control method. It is hard for me to say what I am, but I think I'm more considered a "pro-lifer", but I do believe that there are some exceptions where abortions can be used...I'm one of those typical hypocrites. Again, thank you for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was really good. Its heartbreaking what some people do when it comes to taking care of their unborn child. Sure some people choose abortion as their option,but like yuo said that baby is still inside of you and has a heart beat. That baby is apart of you. Wheter the baby was a choice or an accident, its still a baby. Why people choose to harm an unborn child when its because of the adult that the baby was conceived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I mean I think sometimes after people make the decision to abort the baby, they create this belief that there is a separation between themselves and the baby inside them. All of a sudden, it's not a baby anymore. It's a problem that they are going to go have "taken care of". What if the woman decided to keep the baby, but was going to give it up for adoption once it was born? Do you think someone would smoke, drink, or do drugs since the baby is not "their problem" anymore after it is born?

    Your last sentence brings up a great point about responsibility. I think the story about my neighbor felt that it was the baby's fault for why she was pregnant and why she had to go get an abortion. I think this is the case with a lot of people. After they decide to get an abortion, it's never their fault for being irresponsible one night and choosing to have unprotected sex. No one wants to seem irresponsible. Responsibility is a big part in being mature.

    ReplyDelete