Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF...

Hello world!
Before you journey into my blog, I would like you all to know a little about my background.  My name is Stevie Salfelder.  I am currently a senior at Illinois State University with a major in Political Science.   I am in the process of applying to law schools at the moment, as well as working on a self-created community project for the elderly.  So, my plates are stacked this year!  I have always known that I wanted to be a lawyer since the age of 10.  I had jury trials with Barbie and Ken whenever he cheated on her, or wasn't paying his rent.  Interestingly enough, this story is true!  I've maintained that drive to become a lawyer ever since.  At the age of 16, I sent out 217 letters to every attorney inside my hometown which asked for an internship.  I ended up getting an internship and kept it for about 6 years!  At the moment, I am setting up plans with a Federal Judge to intern with him until I leave for law school.

This semester, I am taking POL 312:  Public Opinion, which is focused on American collective views, beliefs, and attitudes about certain topics.  I've been asked to put together a blog about a policy issue.  I chose to focus my blog on Abortion, which is a topic that hits home for me in a couple of ways.  Be sure to read my "DISCLAIMER" at the bottom of this post. 

A very close friend of mine was raped by a complete stranger after leaving class one night.  She was a virgin, and had never been on birth control.  Saying that, she found herself pregnant and decided to get an abortion because she believed that she wouldn't be able to love the baby in a whole, complete way due to the circumstances.  At the same time, another friend of mine found herself pregnant after a reckless night of drinking, and decided to abort it.  Needless to say, the issue of abortion has been brought into my life through these 2 instances of where I felt conflicted by what I believed to be right and wrong.  


DISCLAIMER:   This is important because this is where I tell you what this blog IS NOT!  My blog is NOT about the pros and cons of having an abortion.  The purpose of my blog is to provide information on collective political viewpoints and attitudes towards abortion.  Ideally, I will try my best not to influence my biases through my posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment